Dealing with Scars

As I mentioned in the post before this, I missed out on a really awesome youth  service that my best friend organizes for our youth group every new years eve. While she was filling me in on how everything went, she talked about a message a young lady shared with them. The message was about scars and it touched me, even not hearing it from it’s speaker. It caused me to seek out this young lady and ask her to share her message again on this platform. Her name is Sanelisiwe Kheswa and this is what she has to say about dealing with scars.

DEALING WITH SCARS
      SANELISIWE KHESWA

In order to deal with scars, we need to change the way we view our scars. Do not look at them as signs of failure, look at them the way a soldier looks at his wounds after battle. As they heal they become proof that you succeeded in fighting and winning, not failing. Seeing them as symbols of failure is the wrong way to look at it as scars are a sign of strength and a reminder that you have been through something incredibly difficult and you’re still here. You didn’t fail, you did what you needed to do in order to survive.

Anyway, failure is part of life, it’s how we learn. We have to know to handle failure and embrace it correctly in order to be successful. Ask yourself this: Why do we fall? To stay down forever? Not at all. It’s so we can learn to pick ourselves up. This is the same perception we need to have when it comes to our scars. We need to learn to love them as they remind us of the past we had and how we overcame the barriers in our lives, they remind us that we won, we survived and we can surely do it again.

I absolutely love my scars! I think for me, they’re a constant reminder of how far I've come and how I haven't gone back to where I used to be. They’re a reminder that I'm stronger than I was yesterday and that if I made it through all those hard times, I will be able to make it through anything else that challenges me.

Sometimes it feels strange when people look at them, but I keep reminding myself about their truth, that I'm a soldier. A soldier who went to war within myself and overcame. These scars are my scars from war, they are something from my past that wasn't entirely good, but that I fought through and survived. The fact is, my scars are a part of me and they won’t simply vanish. Mine is to try my very best to think right of them. Instead of associating them with a failure, to think of them as success. After all, they're scars, not open wounds, which means I've healed and moved on. They're more of a reminder for me, not a message about me. I went through and come out victorious!

Psalm 147:3 says ‘He heals the broken-hearted and binds up their wounds’. So to God our scars are beautiful because they attest to His healing power. If God thinks my scars are beautiful, who am I to think otherwise?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Very First Time

Unravelling Disappointment

Not Yet