Trusting God's Plan

I’ve struggled so much with trusting God’s plan for my life this past year. I used to think that the biggest exercise of trust in God’s plan for my life would be when I said ‘yes’ to his calling into ministry. But it turns out that every turn of this journey requires my trust. The past year has been particularly difficult for me. I have wrestled with God concerning how I pictured my life would be at this stage compared to His unfolding plan for my life.

 

In the early hours of Sunday morning as I fell in and out of sleep, I heard a voice command me: Trust God’s plan. When I awakened a few hours later, I scribbled the instruction as to not forget it and grabbed my Bible. I read Ephesians 1:11 which says: “In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will.” Through this text, God led me to understand why I can trust his plan.

 

1. I can trust God’s plan because it is firmly established.

God’s plan does not exist in isolation. God’s plan exists within God’s purpose which exists within His will. For my easy comprehension, He distinguished the three components in this verse this way: His will is WHAT He wants to happen while His purpose is WHY He wants it to happen, and His plan is HOW He wants it to happen. I get so caught up in HOW things are happening without realizing that they are happening this way because there is a bigger scheme at play. God is intentional, knowing WHY He allows things to happen in a certain way. Things do not happen coincidentally or randomly, but they happen to fulfill God’s will. God is not a passive victim of events, no, He orchestrates events. He is always busy working things to conform to His will. This is why I must trust God’s plan and confidently rest in the truth that whatever He works, He does so for my good.

 

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose” 

Romans 8:28

 

2. I can trust God’s plan because it is unchanging.

God’s plan will always be better than any plan of mine because it has a stronger foundation (which is His purpose and will). I plan in line with what I think, what I see and sometimes what I feel (which are all easily changeable factors). God however plans in line with His purpose which does not change, even when it is challenged. The Bible teaches on how God’s purpose cannot be thwarted (see Job 42:2, Isaiah 14:27). This reveals the unchanging nature of God’s purpose as Hebrews 6:17 puts it. If God’s purpose is unchanging, then so are the plans founded on it. This means God’s plan for my life does not change with the passing of time, and it even doesn’t change as a result of my mistakes and failures.

 

But the plans of the Lord stand firm forever, the purposes of his heart through all generations

Psalm 33:11

 

3. I can trust God’s plan because it is flawless.

Because God plans in accordance with His divine will, there is absolutely no mistake in God’s plan. Romans 12:2 describes the qualities of God’s will as good, pleasing and perfect. If God’s will is good, I can trust what God declares through Jeremiah - that His plan for my life is not to harm me (see Jeremiah 29:11). This does not mean I am exempted from suffering while living out God’s plan for my life, but it does mean that my life cannot possibly be any better than when I am embracing God’s plan for my life. If I could believe that God’s plan for my life is perfect, it would be easier to surrender my plans and yield to His.

 

Many are the plans in a man’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails

Proverbs 19:21

 

I’m praying to stay longer here – here where my mind and heart are aligned in believing that I have absolutely no reason not to trust God’s plan for my life. Here where there is no struggle or strife, only hope and rest. Here where my heart is anchored, no longer tossed back and forth by waves of doubt and fear.

Comments

  1. This is so true and one of the most difficult things to do, especially in the face of failure and disappointment.

    'Lihle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So difficult, but really worth it in the end. I appreciate you taking the time to read and comment sis. Blessings!

      Delete
  2. A difficult subject indeed, I can relate with what you said about how we struggle to trust when we look at how our lives should be at a particular time. But what resonates with me most is the part “ in trusting him, there’s no strife, just rest and hope”

    Bongiwe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and sharing sis. I appreciate it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Unravelling Disappointment

The Very First Time

Not Yet