Not angry enough to lose you

I love it when God intercepts while I'm speaking, it's the fuel to my fire, my evidence that I'm not alone. I get such a kick from teaching His Word, I never have a doubt when I'm up there that this is what I'm purposed to do. I've said before that I know this is it because of the way it responds to me. That's how I define passion, not only doing something you love, but doing something that loves you, that responds to you, that bears fruit at your touch.

Last night, while dealing with the curse of sin he opened my eyes to this truth: you cannot redeem something you've cursed. I was passing by Genesis 3 when He said this. I've always admired how He didn't curse Adam but the ground instead after he sinned, but never went far enough to learn why. God didn't curse Adam because He had it in His mind to later on redeem him. Of course this didn't mean that Adam could walk away without facing the consequences of what he'd done, but it also didn't mean this was it for him.

Another will argue Eve's case. No where while addressing her does God curse her (as He vividly does to the snake and to the ground), he only speaks about the intensity of the consequences she'd face (and boy are they intense, we're reminded every month cause it seems the body is as unhappy when there's no child to bear, so it gives you bonus pain). My point is, God was careful what He said in His moment of anger, hurt and disappointment; and that should teach us something about the way we ought to handle our relationships.

Anger, hurt and disappointment are inevitable in any relationship. You will unintentionally hurt those you love, as they will you. You will make wrong decisions that will disappoint both you and them. And you lost certainly will get angry when they hurt or disappoint you. God is as emotional as we, we're made just like him, that's why he doesn't subtract emotions from our worship of him. What's important is how we handle these emotions, not in inline with the old self with his selfish, manipulative and destructive intentions but instead with much carefulness towards the other.

This is why we have Ephesians 4.
"26 “In your anger do not sin”: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry,"
The New Living Translation speaks of not letting anger control you.
"29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."
The phrase "do not let" shows us that you are the one in control, you're the one who steers your emotions. I know that sometimes it doesn't feel like it because we get so over-taken by them, and before we know it, we've made a big mess of things.
The key is to remember that as angry as you are, you don't want to loose the person you're angry with and how redeemable they are relies on the things you pronounce over them.

The things we say in our 'anger bursts' have the potential to bring any relationship to a stand still. Some kids are totally out of control and reckless with their lives because of something a hurt and angry parent spoke over them. Some friendships are irreconcilable because of words that escaped the mouth in a moment of anger. Some marriages are on the brink of divorce because way too many vile words have been exchanged.

Proverbs 18:21 teaches us that the tongues has the power of life and death, so let nothing and no one die on your account. I pray we learn to express ourselves without losing control, may we force ourselves to see the greatness of the person, not the greatness of their wrong.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Very First Time

Unravelling Disappointment

Not Yet